On the National (the Canadian news program) Rex Murphy (major Canadian commentator) was bemoaning the conflict and bitterness of the U. S. election. According to him, it doesn’t say much for the future of American democracy.
Conflict and anger are the mothers’ milk of politics in the U. S. Off the top of my head:
- Nasty things said about King George.
- Burr killing Alexander Hamilton in a dual.
- The Civil War
- Busting trusts by Theodore Roosevelt
- Wilson not getting approval of the League of Nations.
- The really nasty things said about FDR
- That whole Communist Witch Hunt of the 1950s
- Vietnam War? Anyone?
From the revolution onward, U. S. politics has been a seething cauldron that has forged some remarkable things.
If you haven’t seen it, watch Obama’s impromptu speech to his campaign staff in Chicago because it also represents the glory of U. S. politics (I highly recommend watching this):